Monday, October 16, 2006

Lost in Translation

I often get asked why I dont speak Japanese better given the time Ive been here.I resort to explaining that its a difficult language.Even the slightest wrong nuance or pronounication slip can create havoc and hilarity.Or both.
Consider the following situation.The Japanese word for devil is "oni" while the word for sea urchin is "uni".Imagine a small local sushi bar.Imagine mixing up the words "oni" and "uni" while trying to order.Picture the bewildered looks and then the amused recognition of the restaurant staff as you make another gaffe.
The defence rests its case.

michael.pam
While fossicking about last week I came upon this very comprehensive website.Well set out with lots of useful information and links about Nagoya City.Its worth a visit if you are looking for something specific or just browsing.Click on my link in the "Regularly Read " section on the right hand side of this page.

No comments: